If you would like one of our tour companies to personalize a tour for you, click here.
Meander your way through Frederick County on a guided or self-guided tour. Tours can be enjoyed individually or with a group and range from adventure outingsto winery tours appealing to a wide variety of interests. Because of their popularity, guided tours should be reserved in advance.
Click here for Group Tour itinerary suggestions
GUIDED DOWNTOWN WALKING TOURS
Walking Tours Offered by the Museum of Frederick County History:
- Walking Tours of Historic Downtown Frederick: From our famous “clustered spires” to notable Federal-style architecture, this 90-minute tour offers just the right mix of history complemented by local lore. Guided tours are offered Saturdays 11am and Sundays at 1:30pm, April-October. Tours begin at the Museum of Frederick County History, 24 E. Church St., Frederick.
- Guided Civil War Walking Tours: In 2013, the Civil War walking tour highlights the impact of the war on the residents of Frederick County in 1863. Guided tours are offered every first and third Saturday at 11am from April-October. Tours begin at the Museum of Frederick County History, 24 E. Church St., Frederick.
Each tour ticket includes a visit to either the Roger Brooke Taney House or the Museum of Frederick County History. Tours are also available as a group walking tour or step-on guided tour. Private group and individual tours are offered by reservation. For tour reservations, contact the Museum of Frederick County History, 301-663-1188, www.frederickhistory.org
Candlelight Ghost Tours of Frederick: A nighttime excursion through “Maryland’s Most Haunted City!” Woven through historical accounts and true documented stories of the paranormal, master storytellers dressed in period attire from Frederick’s past lead visitors through the city’s dark streets and alleyways in search of the infamous, the unknown and the unexplained. Uncover politically savvy and defiant citizens, patriots from the Revolutionary War, beckoning soldiers from the Civil War, and so much more. Tours start in front of Brewer’s Alley Restaurant and Brewery, 124 N. Market Street, Frederick. 301-668-8922, www.marylandghosttours.com
Mt. Olivet Cemetery Tours: Discover Frederick’s past as we navigate through the labyrinth of Graves, Crypts and Monuments of Historic Mount Olivet Cemetery – one of Maryland’s largest and most beautiful cemeteries. Master storytellers dressed in period attire lead visitors on a 90-minute excursion through Mount Olivet’s hallowed grounds to pay respect to some of Maryland’s most famous and noteworthy figures. Mt. Olivet Cemetery, 515 S. Market Street, Frederick, 301-668-8922, www.marylandghosttours.com
Pearls of Frederick Walking Tours: Discover, taste and explore the hidden treasures of downtown Frederick. Along the way count on some surprises! Stroll the streets at a relaxed pace, experiencing the best Frederick has to offer. March-December, Saturdays 11:00am-12:30pm. Tours begin at the Frederick Visitor Center, 151 S. East Street, Frederick. For reservations call 240-772-0182 or www.pearlsoffrederickwalkingtour.blogspot.com.
Taste Frederick Food Tours: Embark on a 3-hour guided walking tour and culinary adventure through historic downtown Frederick. You’ll enjoy food and drink tastings at seven unique local restaurants and specialty food shops while getting a taste of the city’s history, culture and architecture. Wednesdays-Sundays from March through November. For reservations call (800) 979-3370 or book online at www.tastefrederickfoodtours.com
TOUR THE GREAT OUTDOORS
Guided tours with professional outfitters. Rafting, tubing, kayaking, cross country skiing, hiking, rock climbing, wilderness skills, orienteering, family adventures, corporate development, bike rentals for C&O Canal trips and guided tours with historians are all available.
River & Trail Outfitters: 301-695-5177, www.rivertrail.com
Harpers Ferry Adventure Center: 877-723-8284, www.hfadventurecenter.com
Guided Nature Programs:
- Cunningham Falls State Park, 301-271-7574, www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/cunningham.asp
- Catoctin Mountain Park, 301-663-9388, www.nps.gov/cato
- Frederick County Parks and Recreation, 301-600-1646, https://frederickcountymd.gov/index.aspx?nid=3034
Brochures for these self-guided tours are available at the Frederick Visitor Center, 151 S. East Street, Frederick.
Destination Frederick Walking Tour: Take our self-guided walking tour located in our Destination Frederick Visitor Guide.
Covered Bridges Driving Tour: A self-guided driving tour of Frederick County’s three covered bridges will take you through some of the most scenic rolling countryside you’ve seen. Plan to stop at a local orchard or country market along on the way. www.visitfrederick.org
African American Heritage Sites Walking Tour: A self-guided walking tour of African American sites, including Asbury United Methodist Church, the William O. Lee Unity Bridge and Laboring Sons Memorial Ground. The brochure also includes information on African American sites further afield in Frederick County. www.visitfrederick.org
A TASTE OF FREDERICK COUNTY
Take in the tastes of Frederick County on a tour of our local wineries and breweries or visit the first cidery in Maryland.
Frederick Wine Trail: Travel historic roads leading to vintage destinations on the Frederick Wine Trail. Enjoy year-round events, tastings and tours. See Wineries & Breweries or the Frederick Wine Trail for more information and directions.
- Black Ankle Vineyards (301) 829-3338 www.blackanklevineyard.com
- Catoctin Breeze (240) 449-0677 www.catoctinbreeze.com
- Distillery Lane Ciderworks (301) 834-8920 www.distillerylaneciderworks.com
- Elk Run Vineyards (410) 775-2513 www.elkrun.com
- Linganore Winecellars (301) 831-5889 www.linganorewines.com
- Loew Vineyards (301) 831-5464 www.loewvineyards.net
- Springfield Manor Winery & Distillery (301) 271-0099 www.springfieldmanor.com
- Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard (301) 605-0130 www.smvwinery.com
- Tarara Winery (703) 771-7100 www.tarara.com
- The Vineyards & Winery at Lost Creek (703) 443-9836 www.lostcreekwinery.com
For Winery tours and packages:
- A Touch of Class Limousines, (301) 698-2650 www.atouchofclasslimousines.com
- One The Town Limousines, Inc. (301) 829-7999 www.onthetownlimousines.com
- Road Runner Services, LLC/Antietam Tours of Maryland (301) 573-1930 www.roadrunnerservices.com
Flying Dog Brewery: Tours offered Thursdays and Fridays at 4 and 6:30pm and Saturdays 12 and 2:30pm, 4607 Wedgewood Blvd, Frederick, 301-694-7899, www.flyingdogales.com
Monocacy Brewing Company: Tours offered the third Saturday of every month and begin at 12:15pm, 1:15pm, 2:15pm and 3:15pm 1781 N. Market St., Frederick, 240-457-4232, www.monocacybrewing.com
Distillery Lane Ciderworks: Self-guided tours are available, 5533 Gapland Road, Jefferson, MD, 301- 834-8920, www.distillerylaneciderworks.com
APPS FOR EXPLORING
Frederick Walking Tour Smartphone Application: Offers directions to 46 locations around the city, the app operates from Android and Apple phones or tablets using the user's GPS coordinates. These seven mini tours are based on various segments of local history, includes the evolution of the American main street, the Civil War and Frederick's rebirth. The app costs $6.99. http://itourfrederick.com/
MARYLAND CIVIL WAR TRAIL This new FREE app is the ultimate travel guide and planning tool for Maryland's Civil War Trails.