Tour the restored lock house at Lander and learn about life on the C&O Canal. From 1828-1924 the C&O Canal functioned as a transportation route for goods and passengers on the 184.5 mile route from Cumberland, MD to Washington, D.C. Today, millions of visitors come to bike, walk, picnic, fish and paddle along the canal while enjoying the scenic beauty of this historic path. Original structures, including locks, lock houses, and aqueducts, dot the path and provide opportunities to learn about the history of the canal. Go west from Frederick on 340. Exit 340 at Jefferson. Turn left onto Lander Road. Follow Lander Road 1.6 miles. At the 1.6 mile point Lander Road turns sharp right - follow it to the right for another 1.1 (2.7) miles to its stop sign intersection with 464. Cross 464 and continue on Lander Road for 1.5 (4.2) miles. At this point Lander Road makes a sharp turn to the left - do not follow it to the left. Instead, after stopping, looking and listening, cross the RR tracks and follow the gravel road to the left for .2 mile to the Lander Lock House at Lander.