Back To Previous Page
Saint John the Evangelist Catholic Church
118 E. 2nd St.
Frederick, MD 21701
Visit Website
Catholics first gathered for Mass on East 2nd Street in 1763 in a two-story house with a chapel. The first actual church was built in 1800 by Fr. John Dubois, SS. The current church was completed and consecrated on April 26, 1837, with Father John McElroy, S.J. as the pastor. The Spire, which is the highest point in the city, is topped with a gold-leaf dome and cross. The Greek Revival Style Church houses the masterpieces “The Crucifixion,” (Pietro Gugliardi) behind the altar, and “The Ascension,” (Baraldi) ceiling in the center crossing. Both interior and exterior renovations were completed in 2000. Schedule posted day of the event. Icons: cannon, wheelchair, restrooms Front doors are wheelchair accessible (no steps); ramps on side of church from handicap parking. ❖❖Bill Powell, Organ (4pm) ❖❖Ann Rolls, Viola de Gamba and Richard Rolls, Flute (4:45pm) ❖❖Lazo Momchilovich, Oboe (5:30pm) ❖❖Peggy Frazier, Soprano (6pm) ❖❖The Adult Choir of St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church with Nae Pearson, Organ (6:45pm) ❖❖The Bell Choir of St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church (7:30pm) ❖❖Carols Sing Along (8:15pm) ❖❖Public restrooms available
What's Nearby