TOURISM COUNCIL OF FREDERICK COUNTY
VISITOR SERVICES MANAGER
Manage a great team at award-winning Visitor Center
Reports to Operations Director
Ensure the visitor center is staffed and personnel are trained to provide exceptional visitor services and experiences for visitors and potential visitors by providing information through telephone calls, email inquiries, and the visitors walking into the Frederick County Visitor Center. Encourage increased visitor numbers, length of stay and return visits by promoting tourism products. Guarantee the visitor center is well presented, efficiently organized, easy to use and accessible.
Every four (4) weeks the Visitor Services Manager will be scheduled to work 20 (twenty) days. The schedule will reflect ten (10) days at the front desk in the visitor center and ten (10) days working in the office area carrying out identified administrative functions.
Visitor Center hours will be 8:45am-5:45pm with ½ hour paid lunch (9 hours). The paid lunch on Visitor Center days is consistent with hourly visitor center staff. Office hours will be 7½ hours with ½ hour unpaid lunch. Office days, the ½ hour unpaid lunch is consistent with the Tourism Council’s office staff work schedule. The office day work hours should largely coincide with regular office staff hours in order for the Visitor Services Manager to be available for meetings.
Within every 4 week period the Visitor Services Manager will work 2 (two) weekend days at the visitor center front desk. A predictable schedule every 4 (four) weeks is desirable. If a predictable schedule is not possible, a 4 (four) week schedule showing when the 20 (twenty) days will be worked is to be produced in advance, ensuring our policy of 2 (two) people working in the visitor center during public hours. This is an exempt position.
Essential Functions of the Job: (in no particular order)
- Monitor work practices ensuring the visitor center is functioning in accordance with policies and guidelines.
- Disseminate information designed to influence the “buying decision” of potential visitors; ensure that all inquiries from mail, walk-in, internet sources and telephone receive prompt and courteous responses. Answer questions and provide information specific to Frederick City, Frederick County or sites within the Region.
- Assist in the development and implementation of retail strategies and action plans to increase retail sales.
- Maintain efficient and organized retail inventory. Place orders for merchandise and retail supplies, as well as being responsible for receiving and merchandising stock. Be familiar with the POS (Point of Sale) System.
- Accurately report all visitor center deposits of cash, debit and credit cards from gift card, merchandise and miscellaneous sales to accountant.
- Responsible for processing correct visitor center staff payroll to the accountant in a timely fashion.
- Maintain accurate visitor statistics. Track fulfillment of all mail and phone inquiries and compile a monthly report from daily visitor logs showing the total number of visitors to the visitor center, state of origin, and reason for travel. Create advanced statistic and lead reports of trends noticed of visitors to the center and where TCFC is advertising.
- Track fulfillment of requests through website, email and phone inquiries.
- Monitor Tourism department email box each day working and respond or forward messages as appropriate.
- Prepare weekly brief PowerPoint presentation for visitor center monitor behind front desk highlighting major upcoming events for the week.
- Be familiar with opening and closing procedures for building.
- Communicate with local businesses and visitor attractions keeping up-to-date with changes in tourist activities and events.
Maintain Brochure Inventory & Distribution:
- Successfully track all incoming brochures from members and partners.
- Ensure member brochures are displayed in a pleasing manner in the Visitor Center and request brochures when quantity is low.
- Distribute promotional materials (visitor guide, calendar of events, etc.) to members and tourism partners through best available mailing program and keep accurate records of literature quantities. Coordinate distribution through storage and courier companies.
- Data entry in Customer Relations Management (CRM) system of weekly advertising lead responses, direct mail distribution, and responses to visitor/member inquires for literature.
- Keep precise statistics and provide reports when requested.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Attend relevant meetings in order to be up to date on Tourism Council and community activities, as well as, best practices. Disseminates relevant information to all staff.
- Has an aptitude to develop skills and acquire relevant knowledge through training opportunities.
Required Knowledge, Skill, and Ability:
- Must possess strong customer service skills, dealing with a broad cross-section of people and personalities. Maintains a positive image when dealing with the public.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with the public including excellent telephone manners.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to operate personal computer and related equipment. Proficient in Microsoft programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; Google docs; and database (CRM) management.
- Ability to use cash register, credit card and gift card machine (POS systems).
- Possesses strong visual skills with the ability to maintain awareness of activity throughout visitor center.
- Self-motivated and reliable.
- Must have initiative to solve routine problems.
- Bilingual skills a plus.
- Must be willing and able to work a flexible schedule including weekends and possibly some evenings.
- Must be able to move boxes up to 40 lbs.
Send salary requirements, cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Deadline to apply February 15, 2019.