Parks and Outdoor Recreation
Every year, a growing number of people travel to Frederick County to experience our parks and explore the outdoors. Highlighted by the Catoctin Mountains and the Potomac River, our 90 national, state, county, and municipal park facilities offer a wide variety of activities such as swimming, boating, camping, hiking, horseback riding, and nature programs in environments ranging from urban city parks to wilderness reserves. Frederick County is home to outdoor experiences that can enjoyed in every season.
Explore More Outdoor Activities in Frederick County
Frequently Asked Questions About Frederick
What are some of the best places to hike in Frederick?
- Chimney Rock on Catoctin Mountain
- Catoctin Furnace Trail at Cunningham Falls State Park
- Gambrill State Park loop
- Appalachian National Scenic Trail at Gathland State Park
What are some of the national & state parks to visit in Frederick?
- Catoctin Mountain Park
- Cunningham Falls Park
- Gambrill State Park
- Gathland State Park
- Greenbrier State Park
What are some of the dog-friendly things to do in Frederick?
- McClintock Distilling
- Catoctin Breeze Vineyard
- Shop Downtown Frederick
- Baker Park
- Monocacy National Battlefield
What are the top self-guided tours in Frederick?
- Downtown Frederick Walking Tours
- Covered Bridges Driving Tour
- African American Heritage Sites Walking Tour
- Public Art Trail