The changing seasons are one of Frederick County’s most charming occasions. As the weather turns from hot to mild and leaves change from green to red, orange, and yellow, fall activities swing into full gear. With a wide variety of farm festivals and city celebrations, Frederick County is the best place to enjoy outdoor fun for the whole family.
- Fall Fun Festival at Gaver Farm
- September 9 - October 31, 2016
- Enjoy the hayrides, corn maze, farm animal area, jumping pillow, giant slides, mini mazes, pedal karts and more than 45 farm activities. Pick your own pumpkins and apples and enjoy farm fresh food and treats!
- Lawyer's Winterbrook Farm Fall Festival
- September 24 - November 6, 2016
- Fall festival on the farm with activities for all ages! Five corn mazes, two pumpkin mazes, hay rides, hay forts, hay maze, campfires, and more. Great for birthdays, family outings, and youth groups.
- Fall Harvest Festival at Summers Farm
- September 24 - October 31, 2016
- Hayrides, pick your own pumpkin patch, 12-acre corn maze, slides, farm animals, two jumping pillows, farmer golf, pig races, campfires, delicious farm food, fresh baked goods, apple pie cider donuts.
- Screamland Farms
- Fridays and Saturdays through November 5, 2016
- Two screamtastic haunted attractions: Barn of Bedlam and Hayride of Horrors. Campfires and other scary fun like Zombie Paint Ball and our Escape Room experience.
- Fall Season at Crumland Farms
- October 1 - 30, 2016
- Explore 8 acres of a twisty, turn-y corn maze and enjoy all the fun on the farm -- feed the animals, MooChoo train, giant slides, pic your own pumpkin, and head to the patch. Zombie Paintball and Escape Room also available on weekends.
- Maryland Pumpkin Festival
- October 8 - 9, 2016
- Pumpkin Princess Storytime, Pumpkin sculpturing demonstration, Mr. Brown the Clown, egg hunt, gourd hunt and pumpkin painting.
- Family Festival @ the Farm
- October 15 - 16, 2016
- Close to two dozen farms open up for free self-guiding tours. Farms offer numerous activities such as finding a pumpkin, scarecrow making, a chance to see the animals, and to learn about agriculture. This is a great time to see the diversity of Frederick County Farms, and great chance to see where your food comes from.
- Oktoberfest at Schifferstadt
- October 15 - 16, 2016
- Celebrate fall on the grounds of a picturesque, historic German farmhouse. This traditional festival features juried arts, crafts, cultural activities, German sausage, beer, strudel, an oompah band, and colonial history demonstrators. Tours of the house-museum are offered for a discount; children 12 and under are free. Proceeds help maintain Schifferstadt.
Fall Foliage Spots
- Drive the Journey Through Hallowed Ground National Scenic Byway between Emmitsburg and Frederick
- Hike in Catoctin Mountain Park (NPS) or Cunningham Falls State Park
- Tour or walk through Monocacy National Battlefield
- Visit to Catoctin Mountain Orchard
Unique Overnight Stays
- Camping in Cunningham Falls State Park
- Cabin or cottage at Ole Mink Farm