Often referred to as "The little cathedral of Western Maryland," Calvary United Methodist Church began in 1929 on land donated by Mr. Joseph D. Baker. The neo-gothic edifice on the congregation's new site replaced their previous church home on East Church Street. In fact, some of the Tiffany windows from the old building were incorporated into the "new" structure. Calvary's 90-foot bell tower houses a ring of eight peal bells - one of only 40 rings in all of North America. Begun in 1770 by a visit from the founder of Methodism in America, Robert Strawbridge, Calvary is one of the oldest congregations in Frederick.