Evangelical Lutheran Church, initially organized in 1738 in northern Frederick County, moved to Frederick in 1746, building a log church adjacent to the current church at 31 East Church Street. Construction of a stone church started in 1752, but wasn’t completed until 1762 due to the French and Indian War. The present building with its twin towers was constructed in 1854 in Gothic Revival style; portions of the 1762 stone church are still visible on the Northeast side of the building. The west tower supports two bells made in England in 1771; they are still used today. From September 1862 to January 1863, the church became a temporary military hospital following the Civil War battles of South Mountain and Antietam. The church is the home of the largest pipe organ in the county—built by M.P. Möller Organ Co. in Hagerstown—and contains almost 3,000 pipes.