Catholics first gathered for Mass on East 2nd Street in 1763 in a two-story house witha chapel. The first actual church was built in 1800 by Fr. John Dubois, SS. The current church was completed and consecrated on April 26, 1837, with Father John McElroy, S.J. as the pastor. The Spire, which is the highest point in the city, is topped with a gold-leaf dome and cross. The Greek Revival Style Church houses the masterpieces “The Crucifixion,” (Pietro Gugliardi) behind the altar, and “The Ascension,” (Baraldi) ceiling in the center crossing. Both interior and exterior renovations were completed in 2000. Schedule posted day of the event.
Front doors are wheelchair accessible (no steps); ramps on side of church from handicap parking.
Bill Powell, Organ (4–5pm)
Christmas Carol Singing (5–6pm)
Peggy Frazier, Soprano (6–6:30pm)
St. John’s Adult Choir (6:30–7pm)
Kate Fitzgerald and Charles Finney, Piano and Cello, Elise Alley, Violin (7–7:30pm)
Dr. Nae Pearson, Organ (7:30–8pm)
Jan Sadowski and Acapella Catholica (8–9pm)